Monday, March 13, 2006

So Mr. Man is here and my world is up-side-down.

I spend the first 7 days out of the hospital at my mom’s. You see, in my culture, when you are having a baby, especially the first, you go home to your mom so that she can help you with LO while you recover. She is also supposed to show you how to take care of living, breathing dolls.

Mrs madam here has done so much research the she even shows momma a trick or 2. You see, when my mom was having babies, more that half a century ago, the y used to give little people water from when they are a few days old. Now the belief is that water is bad for their little livers and they can live without it for up to 6 months. Trying to convince my mom doesn’t work. Eventually a pharmacist settles the argument, in my favour I must add. My mom calls me professor from that day.

DH comes to pick us up, and I wonder is there is space for the baby in the car. Between the bags of clothing (mainly baby’s) , the camp cot and all the other baby-must-haves, it a squeeze to get the car seat in, let alone baby.
I get home and the house is a mess. Leaving DH at home alone for more that 10 days was not a good idea. When LO is sleeping, I start cleaning up the house. DH feels really bad that I have to come to a dirty house. At least LO’s room is clean.

For the next month, not much cleaning of the house takes place. My only concern is that LO is clean (body and bum), my nipples are clean (LO can’t eat with dirty plates), LO is fed and I am fed. Everything else takes a back seat. I really need to find some help!
Dishes get washed once in a while. I am too scared to take a shower when I am alone in the house, in case LO wakes up and I don’t hear him. My teeth get brushed at almost lunch time, and I live on cereal.

We eventually find someone to help us out when LO is a month old. The first day after she cleans, I marvel at how in one day, someone can sort out the whole house. There is still a lot of laundry, but at least it is not lying all over the house. It’s all in one place, waiting it’s turn in the machine.

LO wakes up more than 4 times a night. I read other peoples post about how their LO’s only wake up twice a night. I must be doing something wrong. He seems happy though. He makes little noises, I pick him up, feed him and put him back in his cot. All this is done with LO’s eyes tightly closed.

No comments: