Wednesday, October 18, 2006

It'll pass

A lady on my favourite mommy chat forums has been complaining about her daughter's reflux. A few people (including me) gave their advice & suggestions and then ended off with "It'l pass". I remember when those words could have driven me to murder. When you are sitting with a child who throws everything up and seems to be in pain after every feed, It'll pass does jack for you. But now I know that it will pass - I just have to remember not to say it again to someone who is IN the rough patch.

Besides the reflux, I spent time hoping the sleepless night will also pass. I figure by the time he starts school he should be sleeping through. To keep myself sane through the night feeding, I tell myself that he is not doing it on purpose. Sometimes it helps, but sometimes i feel like running away and sleeping outside as soon as he wakes up. Sanity (the little that I still posess) take over and I either feed him or comfrt him and get back into bed hoping he doesn't wake up again till morning.

What has passed so far?
The fascination with all the cheap silly toys, much to my chargrin. He has a whole bucket full of them and within 2 minutes he is bored of the bucket and needs something else. Hopefully the presents this weekend (his first birthday) will sort that little issue out, even if only for a short while.

Lying helplessly while I change his nappy has also passed. He now fights me from the second his back hits the changing mat. Sometimes I can distract him. Sometimes I really think about getting little handcuffs attached to the changing table for those really difficult sessions. Of course they would be padded!

Some things haven't passed though, m uch to my joy.
Well, for one, being able to leave him to entertain himself for more than 20 minutes while I try and get supper, bath, or just the obligatory loo visit sorted out.

No comments: